Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Dunlin at the Regency Boulevard Ponds ~ November 22, 2022

I was sent a few photos by one of the residents that live in the development at the Regency Boulevard retention ponds and asked if I could identify them for her. One of the photos was that of a Dunlin! I replied to her with the identifications and asked where the Dunlin was photographed. I went over there a couple hours later and found the bird where I had been told it was----in the cove of the north pond. After looking at the bird, I am almost positive that this is the same bird that I found there back on November 2nd because it has the same patch of slightly oiled feathers on its breast like the bird I found back then. I got some photos of it feeding along the shoreline of the cove.

Surprisingly, the bird flew across the cove and landed on the top of the bank separating the two ponds, ending up much closer to me. In the flight photo, you can see that none of the flight feathers appear to be oiled, so I'm assuming that the bird would not be impeded to migrate, which makes me wonder why it's still here. I watched it for at least a half-hour feeding there with two Starlings. It was still there when I left that section.

I checked the main section of the north pond and found the continuing Gadwall, Ring-necked Duck, and Green-winged Teal plus 2 Killdeer.

The south pond produced 11 Snow Geese (one of them a "Blue" Goose) among the Canadas.

A stop on the way home at Green Pond produced a Northern Harrier, a few Eastern Bluebirds, and 21 Snow Geese among the Canadas.

No comments:

Post a Comment