Saturday, October 5, 2024

Newburg Road, Little Gap, and Newburg Park ~ October 5, 2024

My plan was to bird Little Gap this morning. That plan was delayed a little when, as I drove past the Newburg Road retention pond, I noticed a raptor that looked too thin to be a Red-tailed Hawk perched atop one of the powerline towers. As I suspected, it turned out to be an adult Peregrine Falcon. I stopped and grabbed some photos of it and then continued on to Little Gap.

When I got to the parking lot, I saw the cars of Adam Miller and Mike Schall there. I slowly walked the Appalachian Trail, hoping for the long shot of seeing a Connecticut Warbler, but that didn't happen. I have very little luck finding that species and it looks like this will be another year without seeing one. Soon after, I got a text from Adam that he was looking at an Eastern Whip-poor-will! Adam said it flew from beside the trail and luckily landed on top of one of the nearby rocks. Within a minute, I caught up with him and Mike and got great looks and photos of this rarely well-seen, nocturnal bird.

After thoroughly enjoying this cooperative bird, we continued on up to the top of the mountain. There were numbers of both Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets plus a Blue-headed Vireo and a Yellow-rumped Warbler. There was a fairly good flight at the hawk watch in the short time I was there, which included 5 Bald Eagles, a Peregrine Falcon, a Northern Harrier, 2 American Kestrels, Sharp-shinned Hawk and Cooper's Hawks, and a few Common Ravens.
I headed back down the trail and stopped to see if the Whip-poor-will was still there. It was on the same rock, but it had repositioned itself to where you could only see the head of it.
I left there and drove to the Regency Boulevard ponds. I counted 21 Lesser Yellowlegs and 2 Greater Yellowlegs all lined up on the yellow boom in the south pond.

Four Green-winged Teal and a Great Blue Heron were also present. I left there and stopped at the Newburg Park retention pond. It held 2 Killdeer, a Pectoral Sandpiper, and one Least Sandpiper.

No comments:

Post a Comment