Thursday, September 7, 2023

Two American Flamingos in Pennsylvania! ~ September 7, 2023

Back on Tuesday, the weather forecast was for several humid days with temperatures above 90 degrees. Assuming that there wouldn't be much of a migration push during this period, I called to see when I could get my car inspected. The shop said that they could do it on Thursday, so I scheduled it for that day. First thing in the morning, I dropped off my car and planned to spend the rest of the day at home until they got it done. Little did I know that it would be an ill-advised move.

Around 11:30 AM, a text came through that John Carter had found two American Flamingos in Franklin County! This would be a first-ever record for Pennsylvania. The birds were likely pushed north by Hurricane Idalia. I couldn't believe my luck that this would happen on the one day that I didn't have my car. I called the shop and asked them if they were working on my car yet. The lady went and checked on it and came back and said they hadn't started on it yet. I was totally relieved and told them that I was coming over to get it and would reschedule at a later date. In the meantime, I had talked to Rick Wiltraut and told him that if he wanted to go along he should meet me at the William Penn Highway Park & Ride lot. I got a ride over to get my car, threw my gear inside, met Rick at around 12:30, and we started the 2-1/2 hour ride to a pond in Franklin County, just west of Chambersburg, hoping that the birds would stay put until we got there.

We arrived at the spot a little after 3:00 PM and were thrilled to see a line of cars and birders with scopes and cameras looking at the two Flamingos. This was something I never thought I would see in the state. One of the birds was more pink than the other, so it was likely an older bird than the other one that was much paler, but it did not have the full adult-colored bill. This could be caused by a lack of access to the most beneficial type of food. I grabbed my camera and started snapping away. I got some fairly good photos given the distance.


After getting our fill of both birds and talking with many of the birders that we hadn't seen in a while, we headed home with huge grins on our faces. Hopefully, they eventually find their way back south. The trip covered 310 miles.

1 comment:

  1. We considered running down from Upstate NY, but our car is pretty decrepit. I saw flamingos in Florida in the 70s, but none on my eBird life list. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete