Saturday, July 8, 2023

Limpkin in Pennsylvania! ~ July 8, 2023

Around 2:30 AM, Ted Nichols II discovered a Facebook post containing photos of a Limpkin that were taken by Ricardo Linan at Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area near Kleinfeltersville on Friday, the 7th. He immediately sent out a message with the copied photos and information. It was bad timing for me because our dog had an upset stomach and both of us were up with her most of the night until she finally felt better and fell asleep sometime around 4:30 AM. Obviously, at least one of us was going to have to stay with her. Since my wife already had plans at noon, I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough time to do the 3-hour round-trip drive and still have a fair amount of time to find the bird. After contemplating whether I should go or not with almost no sleep, I decided to quickly grab something to eat and head out there. I left around 5:45 AM and when I got there, there were about fifteen birders already there with it in their scopes. I took a quick peek through Jason's scope and then tried my best at getting photos of it, which was tough considering that the bird was badly backlit by the early morning sun. I got what I got and was just glad to be able to get to see this first Pennsylvania record of a Limpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment