Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Yellow-throated and other early warblers ~ April 13, 2022

Since I was leading a bird walk at Housenick Park on Saturday, I decided to scout the area since I hadn't been there since last Fall. Notables included Green-winged Teal, Hooded Merganser, many Northern Flickers, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Bluebird, and a few Pine and Palm Warblers.
I drove down to the Wilson Avenue area of the Lehigh River and walked the towpath hoping for a Yellow-throated Warbler. My hope turned into reality when I heard one singing and found it, as usual, near the top of a sycamore tree.

Nearby, an adult Cooper's Hawk was feeding on its prey.

I also checked the Bethlehem Boat Club area for Yellow-throated. I didn't hear any there, but I did have some luck spotting raptors, finding a Broad-winged Hawk, a Red-tailed Hawk, and a pair of Ospreys.
My next stop was Green Pond where I found 3 Palm Warblers, 3 Pectoral Sandpipers, and 3 Wilson's Snipe.
The Hollo Road retention pond held five lingering Snow Geese, two Wood Ducks, a Killdeer, and a Greater Yellowlegs.

No comments:

Post a Comment