Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Northern Shrike in Northampton County ~ November 16 and 20, 2021

On Saturday the 13th, Joe Yuhas discovered a Northern Shrike at Ballas Park. I was in the middle of a home project and wasn't able to get up there to see it. I went there on Sunday and arrived just after the bird was seen by several birders and had flown off. Despite looking for a few hours, I was unable to find it. Tuesday afternoon, I made another drive up to see if I could find it. After about an hour of looking, I refound the bird just south of the trail where it splits and goes up to the central overlook with benches. I got some distant photos of it there. Thankfully, it flew over towards me and perched for over an hour in one of the tall trees by the trail split, which is where I got these photos.

UPDATE: After not being seen since Tuesday, the bird was seen off and on most of the day on Saturday the 20th. I refound the bird soon after I got there in the early afternoon. It spent almost all of the rest of the day just south of the trail where it splits and goes up to the central overlook with benches. I got this photo of it the one time that it perched in one of the tall trees by the trail split.

No comments:

Post a Comment