Friday, October 8, 2021

American Golden-Plover in Northampton County ~ October 8, 2021

My morning walk at the Woodland Hills Preserve produced 45 species that included this eye-level Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

Later that morning, I got a text from Adam Miller that he had found an American Golden-Plover at the West Gremar Road retention pond. The bird was still there when I got there and allowed me to get some nice photos of it. When you see the spangling on the head and upperparts, you can understand why they call it a Golden-Plover.

As if the day wasn't already exciting enough, I stopped at Green Pond to see what might be there. I parked in the gravel parking lot along Farmersville Road and checked the retention pond, which held a Great Blue Heron. Then, I noticed a few birds flitting around in the treeline along the golf course. Those few birds turned into a group of warblers and several other species the more I looked. That small area produced a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, an Eastern Phoebe, 3 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a House Wren, a White-crowned Sparrow, 4 Blackpoll and 3 Tennessee Warblers, 3 Northern Parulas, and a Common Yellowthroat. One of the kinglets showed off its rarely seen ruby crown.

There must have been an abundance of food because the warblers stayed in the same area for close to an hour, allowing me many photo opportunities.




The 18 Wood Ducks in the flooded field on the north side of Green Pond Road put the cherry on top at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment