Thursday, June 3, 2021

Snow Goose and Bank Swallow along Hollo Road ~ June 3, 2021

I made a quick late afternoon run to check some of the local retention ponds for shorebirds. West Gremar Road held an Eastern Kingbird but no shorebirds. As I headed south on Route 191, I noticed a white bird just south of the Hollo Road intersection. It turned out to be an apparently healthy Snow Goose feeding in the grass along the cornfield. I wondered if this was the same bird that I saw at the Nazareth Quarry on May 25th and why it didn't head north with the others in early Spring.

At the Hollo Road retention pond, the only shorebird I saw was one of the resident Spotted Sandpipers, but there was a Bank Swallow among 8 Northern Rough-wingeds, a Barn, and a Tree Swallow. I tried to get a documentation photo of it, but it was too tough to track and too far away to get anything worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment