Sunday, October 12, 2014

Arizona - California Trip ~ October 6, 2014

I headed back to Madera Canyon. On the way up into the canyon, a Greater Roadrunner ran across the road----what else would you expect it to do? A stop at Proctor Road produced Say's Phoebe, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Canyon Towhee, Black-throated Sparrow, and Varied Bunting. Just above Proctor Road, I noticed something slowly moving across the road, which turned out to be a Tarantula.

I spent most of the morning at the feeders at the Santa Rita Lodge. The hummingbirds are the main attraction here. Even as late as early October, there were still six species present. I managed to get photos of four of the six, the exceptions being Black-chinned and Broad-tailed.

Anna's Hummingbird


Adult Magnificent Hummingbird


Immature male Magnificent Hummingbird



Broad-billed Hummingbird




White-eared Hummingbird


In addition to the hummingbirds, Wild Turkey, Acorn Woodpecker, Bridled Titmouse, and Lesser Goldfinch, there were several other interesting birds also seen at the lodge.
Red-naped Sapsucker


White-winged Dove

Mexican Jay


Arizona Woodpecker


I walked a little farther up the canyon to Madera Kubo, which also had Magnificent and Blue-throated Hummingbirds and a Townsend's Warbler. I left the canyon in the early afternoon and began the 4-1/2 hour drive to Flagstaff. A Loggerhead Shrike perched on a wire along the way back down to I-19. I took I-10 to Phoenix and then I-17 north, staying the next two nights at a Motel 6 in Flagstaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment