Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Vesper Sparrow at the Newburg Road pond ~ October 27, 2021

When I stopped at the Newburg Road retention pond, I found a mostly empty pond due to some workers and a running pump there, but one Greater and one Lesser Yellowlegs were feeding in the far back corner. I decided to cross Wellness Way and check a small, grassy patch with some young trees on its west side. This spot had produced numbers of Savannah Sparrows in the past month. As I checked it, one bird popped up and seemed notably different even with the naked eye. When I got my binoculars on it, I realized it was a Vesper Sparrow! Luckily, it stayed long enough to get some decent photos of it.

One of the expected Savannah Sparrows also permitted me to get a photo of it as it perched next to the Vesper.

No comments:

Post a Comment