Sunday, October 24, 2021

Kinglets rule the day ~ October 24, 2021

As soon as I got out of the car in the parking lot at the Woodland Hills Preserve, I heard and noticed a number of both kinglets flitting around in the large oak overhead. I started down the trail and kinglets were zipping around seemingly everywhere! The Golden-crowneds were mainly sticking to the spruces while the Ruby-crowneds were in the lower vegetation. I was seeing three to four Golden-crowneds in several spruce trees while standing in one spot. My very conservative count for the morning was 29 Golden-crowneds and 19 Ruby-crowneds plus six other kinglets that I couldn't see well enough to tell which ones they were. I met Joe Yuhas later in the walk and he also noted the large numbers of kinglets. It was reassuring that we both had similar counts of them. It was definitely the highest number of kinglets that I've ever seen in one day.

Other notables there included a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2 Blue-headed Vireos, 3 Hermit Thrushes, lots of White-throated Sparrows, 2 Swamp Sparrows, a Lincoln's Sparrow, a White-crowned Sparrow, and two Pileated Woodpeckers, one of which I got a nice flight shot of.
A few warblers were also present. In addition to several Yellow-rumped Warblers, there was a Palm, a Blackpoll, and this Nashville Warbler.

If interested, the counts and more photos from the day can be found on my eBird checklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment