Friday, April 28, 2023

Regency Boulevard Ponds and Green Pond ~ April 28, 2023

I figured I'd better get out and do some birding before the rain took over. My first stop was the Regency Boulevard retention ponds. Swallows were zipping around in good numbers. There were at least 50 Barns, 12 Northern Rough-wingeds, and one Tree Swallow. As I stood along the fence, they were passing by so close that I was wondering if I'd get hit by one. I got photos of some of the perched birds.

The edges of the north pond produced one each of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, and a Pectoral Sandpiper, which was conveniently close for photos.

A Killdeer was also present and pretty close.
I walked down to the dead end of Steuben Road and checked the field for possible field birds. While there, I noticed two Killdeer. One of them was sitting on a nest.
When she stood up, I could see that she had been sitting on four speckled eggs.
I focused the camera on the eggs to show their coloration.
The nest and eggs were in a vulnerable position where they could have easily been driven over or stepped on. I called Anne, one of the residents I share sightings with, who gave me the number of another resident. I called 'Dave', explained the situation, and asked if he could get some cones to block off the nest area. In only about five minutes, he met me and I showed him the spot. The female stood up and started calling at us. He set the cones several feet away from the nest and we backed away. She settled back down on the nest and we left her to her business. Thanks to Anne for giving me Dave's number and especially to Dave for his quick response. Hopefully, she and the eggs will get through this nasty weekend and there will be young up and running around in the near future.

On the way back, I stopped at Green Pond. In the little pond next to the house at the intersection was my "first-of-the-year" Green Heron for the season.
The little wooded patch across the road held a few Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Blue-headed Vireo, and a Palm Warbler.

There were two Great Blue Herons and several Northern Rough-winged Swallows at Green Pond itself. One of the swallows perched on a nearby stem.

No comments:

Post a Comment