Saturday, January 23, 2021

Florida and Texas Trip ~ January 15, 2021

I returned to the "Blue Hole", hoping to find the Black-faced Grassquit. I found what seemed to be the same little flock of birds on the western side near the end of the trail, although this morning they were joined by Pine and Yellow-throated Warbler, and Common Yellowthroat.
A Pied-billed Grebe, an Anhinga, and a Green Heron were seen from the observation deck. An Iguana was also present in a nearby tree.

I searched the western side along 6th Street and mostly along Key Deer Boulevard, just north of the parking lot where the bird had last been reported. I had several false alarms when glimpses of a bird in the grass and brush turned out to be Palm Warblers. A Red-bellied Woodpecker grabbed a beetle from a nearby pine.
Birds noted overhead included a large group of American White Pelicans, three Wood Storks, a Bald Eagle, and both dark and light morph Short-tailed Hawks.
A young Broad-winged Hawk and a male American Kestrel spent most of the day perched on nearby snags.
Despite searching the whole day, I still couldn't find the Grassquit. I was hoping that I would be able to find it and then head back to the mainland where the motel prices are much cheaper. Instead, I had to search for a motel for an additional night, which was made worse because it was a Friday. I managed to find one that wasn't too expensive, but it also wasn't the best. It had a nearby open-air tiki bar with live music. The band was playing classic rock and they really weren't too bad, but they were loud and I really wanted to get some sleep. If I was a normal tourist and not a birder, I probably would have liked it a lot more. I guess it's the old story where you get what you pay for. It wouldn't be fair to mention the name of the place since it did provide me a place to stay, but I'll pass on it if there's a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment