Sunday, June 18, 1995

North-central United States Trip ~ June 14, 1995

I drove back over the Red River into Fargo, North Dakota and proceeded to the experimental farm area on the North Dakota State University campus. It was here that Gray Partridge had been seen in recent weeks. I scoured the area but couldn't find any. I left North Dakota and went to another spot where the partridge had been known to 'hang out'. This spot was northeast of Moorhead, east of Route 75. I was to check a field planted with sunflowers located along Clay County Road 95, 2.8 miles north of Road 18. Within minutes of finding the spot, I heard and saw a Gray Partridge walking around in the young, 6-inch high sunflower plants. I was able to study the whole bird in detail as it meandered through the rows of plants. This was a great look, much better than the look I had in North Dakota.

Gray Partridge northeast of Moorhead, Minnesota.


I left there and headed for the Felton Prairie Preserve. I went three miles east of Route 9 on Route 26 and then turned north on a gravel road to the preserve. This section of prairie, located atop a rolling hill, produced excellent looks at Marbled Godwit, Northern Harrier, Horned Lark, Vesper, Savannah, Grasshopper, and Clay-colored Sparrow, Western Meadowlark, and Chestnut-collared Longspur.

Chestnut-collared Longspur at the Felton Prairie Preserve southeast of Felton, Minnesota.


I left the preserve and started the long drive to Duluth. Following Routes 10, 210, and I-35, I passed through Detroit Lakes, Brainerd, Aitkin, and McGregor. That afternoon, I checked into the Prime Rate Motel, located near the Duluth Airport. I also visited the Gander Mountain store, which housed many different mountings of birds, fish, and animals.

Next, I went southeast into Wisconsin to the Lake Nebagamon area. This was where I was told I had my best chances of seeing Connecticut Warbler. After passing through the city of Superior, I took Route 2 east to the town of Poplar. There, I took Road "P" to Road "B", following it through the town of Lake Nebagamon. Outside of town, I picked up Road "S" and followed it to Comminsky and Motts Ravine Roads. These two logging roads, located on the north side of "S" just west of Route 27, cut through mature stands of Jack Pines, the trees that Kirtland's Warblers nest under in Michigan when they're in their younger stages of growth. These trees were about 25 feet tall and allowed very little undergrowth other than a few spots of scrubby pin oaks. About the same time that I reached the area, so did a thunderstorm. I sat in the car as heavy rain and some hail fell. About a half-hour later, the skies cleared and a double rainbow formed in front of the parting storm clouds.

I began making numerous stops along the two roads, listening for Connecticuts. Instead, I heard or saw Eastern Wood-Pewee, Hermit Thrush, Ovenbird, and Nashville, Pine, and Yellow-rumped Warbler. There area on the south side of Road "S" had been previously logged and held Eastern Bluebird and Clay-colored Sparrow. I drove back to Duluth and prepared for an early morning return to the same spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment