Monday, March 11, 2024

Upper and Lower Mount Bethel Townships ~ March 11, 2024

A Long-tailed Duck had been reported from Lake Minsi on the 6th and again on the 10th, so I decided to take a ride up there to see if it was still around even though winds were gusting to 35 miles per hour. When I got there, I scanned the east side of the lake, which was full of 'white caps' from the wind, but didn't find the bird. Over at the west side, the Purple Martin gourds were being put up for the upcoming breeding season. While there, I saw a Pied-billed Grebe and a Great Blue Heron among around 50 Ring-necked Ducks. Two Common Ravens and a Red-shouldered Hawk were also seen overhead.

I headed over to Echo Lake and saw the four Tundra Swans spotted yesterday. Eventually, 4 Mute Swans swam into the same area, allowing me to get comparison photos of the two species together.
Also there were 83 Ring-necked Ducks, 13 Gadwall, 9 American Wigeon, 6 Green-winged Teal, 5 Common Mergansers, 3 Buffleheads, and 5 Ring-billed Gulls.

My next stop was at the Martins Creek PPL power plant area in Lower Mount Bethel Township. There, I found around 50 Buffleheads, 3 Ruddy Ducks, and 2 American Coots.

Also there were the two American Kestrels that are often present on the wires near the intersection.

No comments:

Post a Comment