Monday, April 10, 2023

The Lehigh River, Green Pond, and the Regency ~ April 10, 2023

I decided to take a couple walks along the Lehigh River towpath to look for Yellow-throated Warblers. For the first walk, I made a loop from the Bethlehem Boat Club east to the boat launch and back. I saw a really good candidate for a Carolina Chickadee. With us being in the hybrid zone between Black-capped and Carolina, I almost always choose "Black-capped/Carolina" as the identification. Although it never called, this bird had the dull wings, grayish back, grayish nape, and fairly short tail, which pointed very favorably towards a pure Carolina. When I spotted a raptor circling overhead, I was thrilled when it turned out to be a nice adult Peregrine Falcon.
Right after, I heard some 'croaking' and traced it to a Common Raven that was calling from a tree.
A group of 5 Common Mergansers were seen on the river, but I didn't spot any Yellow-throateds.

I also walked the Wilson Avenue area of the towpath. Again, there were no Yellow-throateds, but I did find two Palm Warblers and another Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

My next stop was Green Pond. A Wilson's Snipe was in the little pond next to the house at the intersection. A Greater Yellowlegs was working the edge of the retention pond along Green Pond Road. A Northern Flicker called from a telephone pole, and a Fish Crow held a mouthful of nesting material. A Great Blue Heron and three Killdeer were also present.

At the Regency site, I walked the edge of the woods and followed the 'double notes' to a singing Brown Thrasher.
The north pond produced 3 Greater Yellowlegs, 12 Buffleheads, 3 Ring-necked Ducks, 2 Ruddy Ducks, and 6 Killdeer.

No comments:

Post a Comment