Thursday, April 27, 2023

Prothonotary Warbler along the Lehigh River ~ April 27, 2023

I was golfing with my friend when I got a notice that Jeff Kaboly had found a Prothonotary Warbler at the Nagy's Landing Trailhead along Wilson Avenue in Bethlehem Township. I planned on stopping there on my way home but realized it would be mid-day by that time. The chances of it still being there and, even if it was, the chances of it singing would likely be slim. I got there just before 2:00 PM and listened for its song. After about 15 minutes, I thought I heard it sing, but my poor hearing made it tough to get a direction on it. More often, I was hearing some sharp chip notes somewhat similar to the nearby Northern Cardinal and started homing in on them. That's when I saw the golden yellow head among the light green leaves and was able to get these photos.

While I was there, I hiked west along the trail and noticed several Yellow-rumped Warblers and many White-throated Sparrows moving through the area. I watched as several of these birds bathed in the wet patches of the almost-dry channel.

1 comment: