Wednesday, April 5, 2023

A New Yard Bird and Several County Pond Stops ~ April 5, 2023

I just happened to look out the window and notice a small bird fluttering around one of the spruce trees. I grabbed my binoculars and realized it was a Pine Warbler. I went outside with my camera and got these photos of a new 'yard bird'.

While checking out the Pine Warbler, I noticed two Chipping Sparrows, which were my first of the year. Eventually, one of them dropped down to the edge of the driveway.

On the way to the Regency ponds, I saw a pair of Common Mergansers on the Monocacy Creek where it crosses Steuben Road.

Notables at the Regency Boulevard retention ponds included 12 Killdeer, 6 Buffleheads, 4 Ring-necked Ducks, and a Tree Swallow. A male Brown-headed Cowbird posed on a nearby fence post.
The West Gremar Road retention pond held 3 Greater Yellowlegs and a Wilson's Snipe.
The Christian Springs Road pond held four lingering Snow Geese and three more Wilson's Snipe.
The Hollo Road retention pond produced 13 Green-winged Teal and 2 Northern Shovelers.
The last retention pond visit was along Newburg Road. The adjacent field held 3 Killdeer and 3 Savannah Sparrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment