Friday, March 17, 2023

Nazareth Quarry plus Rusty Blackbirds at Green Pond ~ March 17, 2023

I went to my daughter's salon in Nazareth to get my haircut, so when I left there, I stopped at the Nazareth Quarry. The numbers of waterfowl were down from the last time I was there, but there was still a nice variety. I found 27 American Black Ducks, 21 Ruddy Ducks, 14 Buffleheads, 12 Common Mergansers, 10 Green-winged Teal, 5 American Coots, 4 American Wigeon, 4 Northern Shovelers, 2 Gadwall, 2 Pied-billed Grebes, and a small group of 41 Snow Geese. A Common Raven also croaked as it flew over the quarry.

I made one more stop, which was at Green Pond. The number of Hooded Mergansers diving in Green Pond had increased from five yesterday to nine today. I checked the small, swampy area at the intersection by the pond and was happily surprised to find 4 Rusty Blackbirds.

The flooded field area produced 19 Green-winged Teal, 5 American Black Ducks, 9 Killdeer, and a Great Blue Heron.

Later in the day, I checked out the Regency Boulevard ponds and saw the continuing Wilson's Snipe, Buffleheads, and Blue-winged Teal plus a newly-arrived pair of American Wigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment