Monday, March 27, 2023

An Afternoon of 'First-of-Year' Birds ~ March 27, 2023

With showers moving towards the area, I headed to the Regency ponds. Notable waterfowl included 15 Buffleheads, the continuing two male Blue-winged Teal, and a male Ruddy Duck plus 7 Killdeer. I saw my first-of-the-year Tree Swallow flying over the south pond while both Black and Turkey Vultures soared overhead.

I had seen two Horned Larks in the field at the west edge of the development about a week ago, but they were too distant to get a photo. I searched the field again today and found one fairly close Horned Lark, which allowed me to get some decent photos of it.

My next stop was at the Christian Spring Road ponds where I found 13 lingering Snow Geese among Canadas and a Great Blue Heron among 21 Mallards.

After counting 14 Green-winged Teal at the Hollo Road retention pond, I stopped at the Newburg Road retention pond. There, I found my first-of-the-year Lesser Yellowlegs.
Nearby, in the southeastern area of the hospital grounds, I spotted two Killdeer. When I put my binoculars on one of them, I noticed three smaller birds feeding in the grass, which turned out to be American Pipits. I managed to get some fairly distant, mediocre documentation photos of them. They, too, were my first of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment