Thursday, March 16, 2023

Ducks, a Loon, a Sparrow, and some Woodcocks ~ March 16, 2023

On my way to the Regency Boulevard ponds, I stopped at Green Pond. The flooded field area yielded 5 American Black Ducks, 3 Green-winged Teal, and 2 Killdeer. The pond itself held 5 Hooded Mergansers and a Ring-necked Duck.

At Regency, I found the two continuing male Blue-winged Teal and the Wilson's Snipe along with 12 Killdeer, 11 Buffleheads, and a Ruddy Duck.
Next, I headed over to the Delaware River near Fry's Run. Adam Smith had told me about a week ago about a Common Loon he had found there, so I figured I'd check to see if it was still there. After a little searching, I found it right where Adam said it was.

Since I still hadn't found a White-crowned Sparrow this year, I called Arlene Koch to see if she still had some coming to her feeders. She said she did and gave me permission to come over there and look for them. Within a half-hour, a nice adult showed up and I got some nice photos of it in the late afternoon sun.

It was getting near sunset, which was good because I had planned to visit the new Melchor Tract to check for American Woodcock. I walked out the paved trail to where it changed to grass and waited. Just before dusk, a Woodcock flew over my head from out of the woods on the east side and dropped into the brushy field. As it got dark, the 'peenting' began. I heard at least four different calling birds. It was a good end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment