Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Black-crowned Night-Heron at Green Pond ~ April 20, 2022

Joe Zajacek found a Black-crowned Night-Heron at Green Pond in the morning. I got over there a little later and saw Jeff Vinosky there. He spotted the bird sitting in the deadwood near the northside parking area. By the time I returned from the car with my camera, it had moved farther back along the north edge of the pond, which is where I got these documentation photos.

Two immature Bald Eagles circled overhead soon afterward.

Other birds seen there included two Wilson's Snipe, three Greater Yellowlegs, one Lesser Yellowlegs, two Ruby-crowned Kinglets, two Palm Warblers, and several Yellow-rumped Warblers.
I left Green Pond and stopped at the Newburg Road retention ponds where I found four Horned Larks and an impressive number of Savannah Sparrows.

I conservatively estimated that there were thirteen Savannah Sparrows in the field and perched in the surrounding trees but wouldn't be surprised if there were even more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment