Monday, July 24, 2023

A Check of the Area Ponds ~ July 24, 2023

I took an early afternoon tour of the area ponds to see if any contained returning shorebirds. The Green Pond area held Great Blue Heron, Spotted Sandpiper, Eastern Kingbird, Cedar Waxwing, American Goldfinch, and the continuing Snow Goose.
Over at the Regency Boulevard retention ponds, both ponds continued to be very full with no shoreline exposed. Because of that, the only notable birds in and around the ponds were the female Wood Duck with her seven young in tow.

The West Gremar Road retention pond was also full and lacked a muddy shoreline, so I just continued on towards the Hollo Road pond.

A male American Kestrel was perched on a wire along Hollo Road, just east of Route 191. When I got to the Hollo Road retention pond, the water level there was low enough to produce a muddy edge for shorebirds. There, I found a Semipalmated Plover, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 7 Least Sandpipers, and 3 Killdeer.

My last stop on the way home was the Newburg Road retention ponds. The Great Egret that had been sporadically dropping in there was feeding along the east end of the east pond behind the hospital.

I took a walk through the field between the two ponds and found four Horned Larks.

As I walked back towards the car, I just happened to notice a Peregrine Falcon diving at high speed on a Starling! It just missed nabbing it and then swooped up to one of the nearby high-tension towers.

Eventually, it flew off to the north. It was a great end to the route.

No comments:

Post a Comment