Saturday, February 12, 2022

South Florida Trip ~ February 10, 2022

I had done some searching online the night before to see where I might want to spend my last full day in south Florida. I decided to visit Green Cay Nature Center & Wetlands near Boynton Beach. Their boardwalk encircles a large marsh, allowing for close looks at many species, and also goes through some wooded sections. A Red-shouldered Hawk perched in one of the trees.
The first section of marsh held Glossy Ibis, Little Blue Heron, Pied-billed Grebe, and an American Bittern.
While walking through the next wooded section of the boardwalk, I noticed a photographer taking photos of something down low. It turned out to be a Chuck-will's-widow roosting on the ground! As usual, birds seem to know where to go so that they are protected by plant growth, but there was one spot where I got a fairly good opening to the bird.
The next section of boardwalk through the marsh yielded Wilson's Snipe, Black-crowned Night-Heron, and a circling Wood Stork.
A snag held an Anhinga and a Double-crested Cormorant, providing a nice comparison of the bills and tails.
Common and Purple Gallinules were present along the last portion of boardwalk.
I left Green Cay and drove the short distance to Wakodahatchee Wetlands, but it was so busy there that there were no parking places and several cars were waiting for a spot, so I decided to drive all the way down to Key Biscayne and see if I could find the Least Grebe that had been spending the winter at Crandon Park. After braving the crazy traffic on I-95 into Miami, I finally reached the park. I walked over to the northeast pond and immediately spotted the Least Grebe. I repositioned myself on the other side of the pond for better lighting and took a bunch of photos of the bird as it swam with a couple Pied-billed Grebes.

Other birds seen there included a Sandhill Crane, Eurasian Collared-Doves, and several Indian Peafowl.

I retraced my route all the way back up to the Wakodahatchee Wetlands and, this time, got a parking spot and entered the preserve. The place was loaded with Wood Storks and White Ibis, some of them only a few feet off the boardwalk.
One Purple Gallinule posed nicely while another one stretched its wings nearby.

One of the many Glossy Ibis and a Tricolored Heron were nicely lit for photos.
A colorful Roseate Spoonbill preened itself while a good-sized American Alligator yawned about ten yards away.
I spent my last night at the Best Western in Palm Beach Lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment