Saturday, September 21, 1985

Southern California Trip ~ September 9, 1985

I checked out the Andree' Clark Bird Refuge in Santa Barbara. There, I found Ruddy Duck, American Coot, Double-crested Cormorant, Pied-billed Grebe, Forster's Tern, and my first California Gulls and Heermann's Gulls.
Heermann's Gull at the Andree' Clark Bird Refuge in Santa Barbara, California.


At the Santa Barbara Harbor, two new birds, Black Turnstone and Wandering Tattler, were with a Willet. The Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History's grounds held Hutton's Vireo, Bewick's Wren, and Bushtit.

North of Santa Barbara, I saw a Nuttall's Woodpecker at the Santa Ynez Recreation Area. Near Solvang, the Alisal Creek Golf Course had five Yellow-billed Magpies feeding by the clubhouse.
Yellow-billed Magpie at the Alisal Creek Golf Course near Solvang, California.


I found Cactus Wren near the Camarillo State Hospital after getting both legs full of thorns. Little did I know that I would see one from our motel window later in the week.

We headed south to Los Angeles and scoped the Playa del Rey jetty area. Among the numerous Brown Pelicans, I spotted Elegant Terns and a "dark phase" Western Grebe.

We then drove east to San Bernardino where we spent the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment