Saturday, September 21, 1985

Southern California Trip ~ September 7, 1985

This would be my first West Coast trip. My wife, daughter, and I took a non-stop flight from Newark to Los Angeles, which got us into Los Angeles by late morning. We got our rental Chevette (after a disgustingly long wait) and headed for the Santa Ana Mountains. At first, the palm trees lining most of the streets were a strange sight. The first stop was Irvine Park where I saw my first Loggerhead Shrike and Acorn Woodpeckers. Along Santiago Canyon Road, I spotted a Brown Towhee in some brush.
Brown Towhee along Santiago Canyon Road near Silverado, California.


At Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary, I saw Plain Titmouse, California Quail, Scrub Jay, Lesser Goldfinch, Band-tailed Pigeon, and Anna's Hummingbird along with a Wilson's Warbler. After leaving the Santa Anas, we headed back towards Los Angeles. Near the junction of Interstates 405 and 55, a Black-shouldered Kite hovered "Kestrel-like" over a farm field.

At Upper Newport Bay, the marshes and mudflats harbored Western Gulls and a Brown Pelican along with Cinnamon Teal, American Avocets, Marbled Godwits, Barn Owl, Caspian Tern, and Great Blue Heron.
Marbled Godwit at Upper Newport Bay near Newport Beach, California.


We spent the night near Disneyland in Anaheim.

No comments:

Post a Comment