Wednesday, April 17, 2024

A Good Movement of Migrants in the Backyard ~ April 17, 2024

While eating breakfast, I noticed several small birds moving around in the neighbor's oak tree. It turned out to be several Yellow-rumped Warblers and a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets. As I continued to watch, more and more birds flew into the oak as others left. It was fairly easy to keep track of the Yellow-rumpeds since there were males and females and they were in different stages of plumage. I conservatively counted 23 Yellow-rumped Warblers and 11 Ruby-crowned Kinglets. In among them, I spotted my first Blue-headed Vireo of the year.

A pair of Ruby-crowned Kinglets came to my little waterfall to bathe and get a drink. The male was apparently showing off his ruby crown to the female, which allowed me to get photos of the uncommonly seen patch of red.

At one point, both birds were together at the waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment