Friday, December 29, 2023

Graver's Hill, Regency Ponds, and Green Pond ~ December 29, 2023

I happened to see Guy de Bruyn's report of a Snow Bunting seen yesterday at Graver's Hill and decided to go up and see if I could find it and the Lapland Longspur found on our Christmas Count last Sunday. I didn't get there until mid-afternoon. A Northern Harrier soared low over the field.
I eventually saw a group of about 150 Horned Larks flying back and forth, but they would land just out of view over a little rise in the field. After waiting for about a half-hour, the group finally flew in and landed a little closer and, more importantly, in view. I searched through the birds but could only find Horned Larks.
They lifted off, circled around, and landed back in the same area. The good thing was that I noticed the white flashes in the wings of the one bird in the group, which turned out to be the Snow Bunting. It worked its way through the field where I got some mediocre photos of it.

I never did see the longspur.

I left there and drove down to the Silver Crest Road pond. There, I found a Great Blue Heron, 8 Ruddy Ducks, 3 Common Mergansers, and a Cackling Goose among about 600 Canada Geese.

The nearby Regency Boulevard ponds held 21 Buffleheads while about 4000 Snow Geese flew overhead in a westward direction.


I didn't get to Green Pond until after sunset. On Green Pond, there were 3 Wood Ducks, 2 Green-winged Teal, and an American Black Duck. I got some blurry photos of the teal and one of the Wood Ducks in the failing light.
The flooded field held about 2000 Snow Geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment