Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Snow Buntings in Northampton County ~ February 24, 2021

Mike Schall had photographed a Savannah Sparrow of the "Ipswich" race back on the 20th along Miller Road in Lower Mount Bethel Township. In the remote chance of refinding it, I took a ride up there. I noticed a very distant, young Bald Eagle perched on the ground at the top of the hill on the north side of the road. It was probably feeding on something, but I couldn't tell for sure. Soon after at a manure pile, I noticed several Snow Buntings in among the more numerous Horned Larks. Eventually, some came to the road.

A little farther down, I discovered a large flock of buntings perched in a tree.

They were occasionally dropping down to feed next to a nearby barn. My best count of the flock was 66 birds, the most I have ever seen in the county at one spot.

I also got a few shots of a posing Horned Lark.

No comments:

Post a Comment