Saturday, October 10, 2020

Arizona - New Mexico Trip ~ October 4, 2020

Three of us had driven out to Arizona back in June to see the young male Eared Quetzal and missed it by a couple days. Then in September, Jason Horn and I flew out to Arizona when a pair of the quetzals were being seen in Rucker Canyon. Again, we missed them by a couple days and found out the day after we got back home that the pair had moved over into Cave Creek Canyon, so my bad luck in 2020 continued. Jason went back out with his friend, Matt, and saw the birds on September 28th. I wanted to see these birds so bad that I decided to buy a ticket on the 3rd and began packing for the October 4th flights. I allowed for two full days of searching and would return on the 7th.

I left the house around 2:15 AM and drove to the Newark Airport. My flights were from there to Atlanta, Georgia, and then on to Tucson, Arizona. While sitting in the Atlanta airport, I read that a European Golden-Plover had been identified in, of all places, New Mexico! This bird occasionally shows up in Newfoundland, Canada, so I checked the reports and discovered that it would require an 8-hour drive from the area where the quetzals were being seen. Hopefully, the quetzals would finally cooperate for me and allow me a chance to try for the plover, too, but seeing the quetzals remained my first priority.

I landed in Tucson just before noon, got my rental car, stopped for food and drinks and a styrofoam ice chest to put them in, and drove the 2-1/2 hours east to the Chiricahua Mountains. Near San Simon, a Swainson's Hawk circled over the highway.
I headed south on the road to Portal, which produced Gambel's Quail, Cassin's Kingbird, and Curve-billed Thrasher. I eventually reached Portal around 4:00 PM and entered Cave Creek Canyon.
I parked along Forest Road 42 near the bridge where the pavement ended and started walking down the road to the site where the birds had most often been seen. As I got there, there were three birders watching the pair of Eared Quetzals! Finally, the third time was the charm. It was getting late in the day and the sun was already blocked by the mountain, but I managed to get some documentation photos of the male. Little did I know that the pair would put on a fantastic show for me the next morning.

Eventually, the birds starting working their way up the canyon towards the bridge where I had parked. I grabbed this poor, distant photo of the pair perched together in a tree on the hillside.

Other birds noted there in the late afternoon were Acorn Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Western Wood-Pewee, Hutton's Vireo, Mexican Jay, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, American Robin, Chipping Sparrow, a "Gray-headed" Junco among the Yellow-eyed Juncos, Wilson's Warbler, Western Tanager, and a surprising count of seven Red-naped Sapsuckers.

I drove back down to Portal and found Curve-billed Thrasher, White-crowned Sparrow, Canyon Towhee, Northern Cardinal, and Black-headed Grosbeak in the waning light at the feeders by the Portal Cafe's outdoor patio. I spent the night there at the Portal Peak Lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment