Thursday, February 21, 2019

Varied Thrush in Northampton County ~ February 20, 2019

On Tuesday, my sleep was interrupted by a phone call from Billy Weber. He told me that he had just seen a Varied Thrush from his workplace parking lot in Hanover Township! After saying some choice words in respect to my surprise, I thanked him for the call and quickly got my butt into gear. I arrived at the spot and found several birders, including Jason, already there. He told me that a Merlin had flown in and the thrush flew off along with a flock of Robins. I spent the next several hours waiting for the bird to return, but it never did. I went into work and, at first break, found out from Jason that the bird had returned very late in the day. I told him that I planned to be there at first light and hope for a better outcome.

Wednesday morning under overcast skies and with a snowstorm approaching, I was in position near the main crabapple tree that the bird had been seen in. Thankfully around 7:00 AM, the first bird to fly into the tree was the Varied Thrush! I had nice looks at this striking adult male as it fed on the crabapples. Lighting was definitely an issue, but I was happy to get some fairly nice photos of the bird.

I left there much happier than the day before and work didn't seem as tedious that night. Additional photos of the bird can be found in my 2019 Local Notables Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment