Thursday, May 10, 2018

Varied Bunting in PA! ~ May 7, 2018

Just before my hockey game, I got a call from Jason Horn, who told me the amazing report that a Varied Bunting was visiting an Allegheny County feeder! He had contacted Dave Wilton and gotten permission for us to try for the bird at first light Monday morning. So, at 1:00 AM, I headed over to Jason's to pick him up and drove the remainder of the five hours west to a home near the town of Elizabeth.

We arrived at 6:00 AM and met up with Dave, who led us up to the designated feeder viewing area. As soon as we arrived, the bird was there, but I never got on it before it flew. Eventually, it returned several times over the next 2-1/2 hours. In the low, early morning light, I managed to get some poor, long-distance documentation photos of what is likely only the second record east of the Mississippi River!




This blurry photo shows the blue rump and tail.


If accepted, this bird would obviously represent the 1st record for Pennsylvania and what I have heard would be only the second record east of the Mississippi River! We completed the 595-mile round trip, returning at around 2 PM. Thanks goes to the landowners for granting us permission to see this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and to Dave Wilton for setting up our visit.

More photos of the bird can be found in my Pennsylvania Notables Album.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the report and photos. In my notes I find that a Varied Bunting was trapped and banded at Long Point Bird Observatory, ON on 7 May 1995. It was reported as a female or immature male. LPBO is due N of Elizabeth PA. Another was reported from Sabine NWR, LA on 26 Apr. 2009, LA's 2nd. And there was one at Horse Thief Spring, San Bernardino, CA 10-12 Oct. 2012. That's all the extralimital records I have. From North American Birds.
    I do also recall a report from a few years ago on BOTN in NJ or PA of a bird that might have been one, but it was poorly described and no doubt not accepted. I will continue to look for the report.

    Bob Augustine

    augustinebob8@gmail.com
    Rockville, MD

    ReplyDelete