Monday, May 11, 2015

California - Vancouver, BC Trip ~ April 29, 2015

The same routine as yesterday was used again. We were in California waters in the morning but spent most of the day in Oregon waters. As soon as I got on deck, Paul told me that there were Leach's Storm-Petrels flying right along the ship on the other side. I walked over there and easily found several of them. I had seen one on the October 2014 pelagic trip out of San Diego but never counted it because it was so far away that I never got to see any of its identifying marks. Later that day when the lighting was much better, I got some fairly good photos of them.


One of the many Black-footed Albatrosses came close enough for photos.


About 24 miles off Cape Blanco, Oregon, I spotted my 'life' Hawaiian Petrel. It was fairly close, giving me pretty nice look at all the details unlike the very poor looks I had at two previous ones. Unfortunately, I was so intent on watching it that it was pretty far out before I thought about trying to get a photo.

About 50 miles off Newport, Oregon, a Laysan Albatross also came in close enough for identifiable photos.


Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels were now becoming more common as we continued north.


Some of the normally arcing and twisting Murphy's Petrels were coming close enough and flying with the ship to allow for some half-decent photos.




Late in the day, a group of 14 Long-tailed Jaegers were seen.


And of course, there were many, many Sooty Shearwaters passing by all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment