Monday, October 28, 2013

Southern California - Arizona Trip ~ October 24, 2013

I drove into Fort Huachuca, checked in at the M.P. office, and headed up to the site where the Sinaloa Wren was hanging out. Unfortunately, I was only able to get a very brief glimpse of this skulker. Other birds found there included 'Red-shafted' Flicker, Black Phoebe, Cassin's Kingbird, Bridled Titmouse, Bewick's and Pacific Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Plumbeous Vireo, "Audubon's" and Townsend's Warbler, Painted Redstart, Hepatic Tanager, Lincoln's Sparrow, 'Gray-headed' Junco, and Lesser Goldfinch.

I left the canyon and started the 350-mile drive west to Lake Havasu. The stretch of I-10 west of Phoenix is another huge area of open desert.
The Big Horn Mountains along I-10 west of Tonopah, Arizona.


I took Route 72 and Highway 95 up to the Bill Williams National Wildlife Refuge. I used the last hour of daylight to check out the Nutting's Flycatcher spot and found myself engulfed by mosquitoes. It wasn't as bad as the Everglades, but it was a close second. I left there and drove up to Lake Havasu City where I spent the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment