Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Common Chaffinch in Hunterdon County, New Jersey ~ January 3, 2012

Just three days into the new year, I got news of a potential 'lifer' less than thirty minutes from my house! So I headed across the Delaware River to Hunterdon County, New Jersey where, after about a half-hour wait, I got to see a male Common Chaffinch that was visiting a private feeder.

Common Chaffinch in Hunterdon County, New Jersey.


The bird's plumage looked pristine and there were no leg bands of any kind. If this bird is accepted by the New Jersey records committee, it would be my 750th ABA bird!

1 comment:

  1. Nice Bird! Do you know how often they show up in North America? I lived in England for a few years and have been back several times since where Chaffinches belong, but I have not seen any in North America.

    ReplyDelete