Sunday, February 15, 2009

Western Grebe in PA! ~ February 14, 2009

The word got out about a Western Grebe that was found near Huston's Mill in Cumberland County. This new state bird was being enjoyed by many when I got there. It was in the company of a Red-necked Grebe, which afforded a great comparison between the two species.
Western Grebe near Hustons Mill, Cumberland County. A Red-necked Grebe is preening itself while swimming alongside. This long-distance photo was taken through a backyard while standing on East Willow Terrace. Because of the great distance, the bird's head pattern appears to match that of a Clark's Grebe, but the photo is deceiving. Closer views confirmed the identification. This bird represents the 1st record for Pennsylvania!

1 comment:

  1. We were kayaking on the lake at Gifford Pinchot State Park (5/8/14) and saw a couple diving birds we didn't recognize. When we got home I searched for them and thought I found them when I saw a Clark's Grebe. Unfortunately, we are way outside their range. But after I read this post, I wonder if I was right since from what I see the Western has a similar range. The head pattern matched a Clark's with the eyes being within the white. I just wish I had my camera to document our sighting.

    ReplyDelete