Sunday, June 18, 1995

North-central United States Trip ~ June 11, 1995

I got up at first light and headed back out to the spot where I had heard the Baird's Sparrow the day before. I heard the bird singing as soon as I got there. I played a tape of its call and it flew up and landed on the fence next to the road. After getting good looks at it, I was also able to get some distant photos. However, I wasn't able to locate any of the Sprague's Pipits that were supposedly nearby. While birding along the rest of the road, I found Sora, Upland Sandpiper, Common Snipe, and Marbled Godwits that continually made passes over my head, trying to chase me out of their territory.
Common Snipe east of 10th Avenue North, the road to Buffalo Lodge Lake, near Granville, North Dakota.



Marbled Godwit east of 10th Avenue North, the road to Buffalo Lodge Lake, near Granville, North Dakota.


On the way back out to Route 2, the few trees that were present held a Ferruginous Hawk and a Northern "Baltimore" Oriole.

After heading east on Route 2, I swung northwest on Route 14 and turned into the J. Clark Salyer National Wildlife Refuge. Along the auto tour route, I saw Pied-billed and Eared Grebe, American White Pelican, Double-crested Cormorant, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Blue-winged Teal, Gadwall, Canvasback, Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Duck, Northern Harrier, American Kestrel, American Avocet, Willet, Wilson's Phalarope, Franklin's Gull, Forster's and Black Tern, and Eastern and Western Kingbird. About three-quarters of the way around the auto tour, I had to turn around and backtrack because of high water.

I drove back out to Route 14 and headed northwest to the Grassland Auto Tour. This auto tour consisted of two tire tracks through five miles of mixed-grass prairie.
The J. Clark Salyer Grasslands Auto Tour east of Newburg, North Dakota.


Along it, I observed the following: Clay-colored and Savannah Sparrow, Chestnut-collared Longspur, Bobolink, Western Meadowlark, Red-winged, Yellow-headed, and Brewer's Blackbird, and a much better looks at Baird's Sparrow.
Baird's Sparrow along the J. Clark Salyer Grasslands Auto Tour east of Newburg, North Dakota.


I left J. Clark Salyer and continued north to Route 5 where I turned west and drove to Des Lacs National Wildlife Refuge. I stopped at the headquarters near the town of Kenmare and then birded the lake area below. There, I found many of the species I saw at J. Clark Salyer.

Next, I continued west to the famed "Longspur Pasture". The 1979 book, "A Birder's Guide to North Dakota", had mentioned this spot as one of the best places to find Sprague's Pipit and Baird's Sparrow. Although I didn't hear any pipits, I did see Willet, Upland Sandpiper, Marbled Godwit, Horned Lark, Grasshopper and Baird's Sparrow, Chestnut-collared Longspur, Bobolink, and Western Meadowlark, along with a good-sized Jackrabbit.

I returned to Kenmare and headed southwest on Route 52.
Along Route 52 south of Kenmare, North Dakota.


This road followed the Des Lacs River valley all the way into Minot. Common Nighthawks were heard calling overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment