Saturday, July 8, 1989

Colorado Trip ~ July 1, 1989

After prying my eyes open, we headed back out to the lek. Since it was July, our only chance of seeing a chicken was to be there at dawn and hope that a late straggler was there strutting, which was unexpected. As it became light enough to see, we found the lek was empty. We were, however, treated to a chorus of Cassin's Sparrows during sunrise.
Sunrise at the Lesser Prairie-Chicken lek in the Commanche National Grasslands, Colorado.


Our visit also included a minor incident. I had set up my scope at the back of the Bronco in order to study a hawk sitting on a distant fencepost. We later walked out through the grass and when I turned around, I couldn't believe what I saw. There, at the back of the Bronco, stood three of the free-roaming cattle (a mom with two young). Mom was nestled right up against the tripod legs holding my scope. Unsure of what to do, I slowly walked towards her, although I had visions of running for my life through the lek with a protective mom hot on my heels. Finally, she retreated, but she still managed to swing around and knock over my scope. Luckily, it fell into the sandy soil of the grasslands.

We left the grasslands and picked up George back at the motel. He was the only smart one in the bunch, sleeping in while we hoped for the next-to-impossible. We marched on towards Denver. At the town of Lamar, we saw a few more Mississippi Kites. After stopping, I noticed more and more kites lifting off, so I drove over in that direction. I conservatively estimated that there were about 50 Mississippi Kites circling over the town.

Farther north on Route 287, we passed through the towns of Kit Carson and Wild Horse. These "towns" must have been put on the map in order to fill in the empty spaces between 80 miles of nothing. We weaved through Denver and stopped at the town of Idledale. Mark found two very accommodating American Dippers along the streambank.

American Dipper near Idledale, Colorado.


Above Idledale, we visited a very busy O'Fallon Park where we finally found a pair of Townsend's Solitaires for Babe.
Townsend's Solitaire at O'Fallon Park near Idledale, Colorado.


Our next stop was at Red Rocks Park. The rock forms are really interesting.

Red Rocks Park near Morrison, Colorado.


Birds at Red Rocks included White-throated Swift, Say's Phoebe, Scrub Jay, Canyon Wren, Black-headed Grosbeak, and our only "trip" Gray Catbird.

We stayed at the Motel 6 in Denver. Since I needed Poorwill, I drove back to Red Rocks Park to try for it at dusk. I didn't hear any of them, but I did hear and see two young Great Horned Owls.

No comments:

Post a Comment